Friday, June 28, 2013

Being a Tourist In My Own Country - Grasmere



Grasmere
Grasmere is a village at the tip of Lake Windermere, easily by-passed thus making it not nearly as busy as other villages and towns that sit by Lake Windermere. My sort of place. It is colourful to the extreme.
Grasmere
Helped by the fabulous Garden Village that sits at it's heart.
Grasmere
Grasmere is also home to the tiniest shop I have ever visited - The Gingerbread Shop with room for only one customer at a time. Home of a weird gingerbread that is delicious but bears no resemblance to the gingerbread I am used to, more a biscuit than a bread.
Grasmere
Grasmere has huge hills surrounding it but I couldn't get a picture that does them justice. Believe me they are huge.
Grasmere
Wandering around the village I was impressed by shops and the myriad of little streets that all led to amazing views.
Grasmere
This house up one such street looked as though somone had taken a slice off it.
Grasmere the jumble room
We ate at The Jumble Room a quirky little restaurant with an eclectic theme.
Grasmere the jumble room
Huge furry cushions sitting on 2 seater sofas, perfect for reclining after eating too much, which I did.
Next time I will show the two fabulous places we laid our weary heads.

1 comment:

Helen Morris said...

Well, that was a slice of nostalgia. I went to Grasmere junior school and lived at the white house( called Banerigg) on the shore of Lake Grasmere. I think it may still be the only house on the lake side. My initials are carved in slate and concrete along the walls between home and school. The daffodil garden used to be the pony paddock where I had first holiday job mucking out the stables at the hotel. After Grasmere I moved to Ambleside it wasn't crowded on those days and my friends and I longed for tourist season, which started at Easter and stopped in September.