Friday, November 27, 2009

Last Night I Went To Versailles

versailles stories bbc
Our satellite dish blew off last week and we have had no TV all week, today a new one will go up but in the meantime I have been making use of BBC iPlayer and last night it transported me to Versailles. What a fantastic programme. I was in awe of the funny little Frenchman who restored the furniture and blew gold leaf around his workshop to demonstrate how delicate it was,
versailles stories bbc
I watched all the Orange and Lemon Trees being brought in for the Winter. What a huge task, have you seen the size of the grounds?
versailles stories bbc
I gasped when I saw the restoration of just one of the ceilings in the Palace
versailles stories bbc
I cheered when the 2 sculptors, one from Paris the other from Avignon, raised their brand new replacement statues onto the roof, they were perfect.
versailles stories bbc
I found it hard to look when the chandeliers were being taken down and transported to a cleaners.
If you have access to BBC iPlayer I strongly advise you to go and see this half hour long programme, if you don't then you will have missed something VERY SPECIAL.

10 comments:

studioJudith said...

This looks delicious ... .
I must find the BBC iPlayer!

Unknown said...

Gosh I haven't been to Versailles since I was at school....that was our yearly school trip but would love to go back with Steve and Mila

http://bodieandfou.blogspot.com/2009/11/day-at-bodie-and-fou-via-beat-that-my.html

Parisbreakfasts said...

tHe rest of the world can not view this wonder=triste!!!

Mélanie said...

Can I tell you a secret : i've never been to Versailles . these pics look stunning

rochambeau said...

Thank you for sharing these shots, Di. I've not been to Versailles, but like going with you!

xox
C

Enzie Shahmiri said...

Isn't it amazing how much goes on behind the scenes. If I lived closer to a major museum, I would have loved to become a restorer. I have to see if I can get this lovely player you shared. Thanks!

stencil helen said...

Thanks Di, I will definitely try to watch this. I hope to be at Versailles in April for a salon of painters, gilders, stencillers and other artisans involved in the decorative and restorative arts. Fancy a day out with me? I know many of the experts that will be sharing their skills and believe it is open to all. I can let you know more.

babelfish said...

I love iplayer, thanks for the heads up.

Rohini said...

Hi Di, I watched this one rainy night after your recommendation. Magical and astounding!

What I found amazing was that Versailles has become the second home for these restorers as it is a never ending task - one of them had his own shower! What wonderful jobs.

Lynne Rutter said...

i have a friend who works there as a gilder and painter. an enviable life with endless work. i can't see the video- it's UK only. drat!
but i hope to visiting versailles in april 2010 when the international decorative painting salon is hosted there.