Friday, November 27, 2009

Last Night I Went To Versailles

versailles stories bbc
Our satellite dish blew off last week and we have had no TV all week, today a new one will go up but in the meantime I have been making use of BBC iPlayer and last night it transported me to Versailles. What a fantastic programme. I was in awe of the funny little Frenchman who restored the furniture and blew gold leaf around his workshop to demonstrate how delicate it was,
versailles stories bbc
I watched all the Orange and Lemon Trees being brought in for the Winter. What a huge task, have you seen the size of the grounds?
versailles stories bbc
I gasped when I saw the restoration of just one of the ceilings in the Palace
versailles stories bbc
I cheered when the 2 sculptors, one from Paris the other from Avignon, raised their brand new replacement statues onto the roof, they were perfect.
versailles stories bbc
I found it hard to look when the chandeliers were being taken down and transported to a cleaners.
If you have access to BBC iPlayer I strongly advise you to go and see this half hour long programme, if you don't then you will have missed something VERY SPECIAL.


studioJudith said...

This looks delicious ... .
I must find the BBC iPlayer!

BODIE and FOU said...

Gosh I haven't been to Versailles since I was at school....that was our yearly school trip but would love to go back with Steve and Mila

ParisBreakfasts said...

tHe rest of the world can not view this wonder=triste!!!

Mélanie said...

Can I tell you a secret : i've never been to Versailles . these pics look stunning

rochambeau said...

Thank you for sharing these shots, Di. I've not been to Versailles, but like going with you!


Enzie Shahmiri said...

Isn't it amazing how much goes on behind the scenes. If I lived closer to a major museum, I would have loved to become a restorer. I have to see if I can get this lovely player you shared. Thanks!

stencil helen said...

Thanks Di, I will definitely try to watch this. I hope to be at Versailles in April for a salon of painters, gilders, stencillers and other artisans involved in the decorative and restorative arts. Fancy a day out with me? I know many of the experts that will be sharing their skills and believe it is open to all. I can let you know more.

babelfish said...

I love iplayer, thanks for the heads up.

Rohini said...

Hi Di, I watched this one rainy night after your recommendation. Magical and astounding!

What I found amazing was that Versailles has become the second home for these restorers as it is a never ending task - one of them had his own shower! What wonderful jobs.

Lynne Rutter said...

i have a friend who works there as a gilder and painter. an enviable life with endless work. i can't see the video- it's UK only. drat!
but i hope to visiting versailles in april 2010 when the international decorative painting salon is hosted there.