Friday, November 28, 2014

Then It All Went Tits Up

I have just spent a few hours looking back on my blog reading posts about how happy I was with my life. Well 3 years gone March that all changed when Harvey walked into the cottage and told me he had cancer. Yes the dreaded C word. After almost being physically sick we decided to take it a day at a time. This was the hardest thing we had ever faced. It put all our other trials and tribulations in the shade.
It's been just over 4 months since the C word took Harvey from me and the kids and it's been tough to say the least. Everything has changed but stayed the same. I feel his presence all the time but not his touch, his breath or his voice.
It's almost Christmas but I don't feel at all festive. I am going to France to be with our youngest daughter and granddaughter for Christmas and New Year and when I return I will face 2015 without him.
I need to take a serious look at my life and what I want to do with what's left of it. Decisions like this used to be exciting but now they just seem a necessity.
I know I can do this and with the help of my fabulous family and friends my life will be happy again and full of lovely memories. I shall take him with me in whatever I do but in my heart this time.
I feel blessed to have experienced life with a man that never bored me and made sure I always knew how much he loved me. It wasn't all a bed of roses but it was often fabulous.

13 comments:

stencil helen said...

I just logged on to catch up with your posts; always a pleasure. Having a sniffle now and sending a hug. Harvey was brilliant and so are you.

paris parfait said...

Brought a tear to my eye, thinking of you and Harvey and happy times in Paris and in England. Sending big hugs and much love your way. xoxox

Avril said...

Every good wish for Christmas and I hope 2015 brings you good things.

Kajsa said...

Dear Di,
I have been reading your blog with greatest pleasure for several years now. There is always an unexpected twist in your posts which I very much appreciate.
I wish I could comfort you in any way in your sad situation and
I so hope you will find your strength and joy again. There are many people in many countries who are thinking of you.
Take care and enjoy the holydays with your family.
Karin in Sweden

Di Overton said...

Dear Kajsta
Thank you so so much for your lovely message. I can't tell you how much I needed it at this moment in time. I shall have joy in my life again and believe that you have played a huge roll in that. Much Love Di xx

Di Overton said...

Sorry I accidentally deleted the last comment made on 12/12

Anonymous said...

Hello Di,
I have visited your blog for the first time today, while doing some research for some egg painting. I found a beautiful image which led me to your website. I read your most recent post and I wanted to tell you that I am very sorry for your loss.
Sonia from Canada.

Barbara said...

Was catching up on your Blog tonight. Very touched by the sadness you feel. Life changes are so difficult. I truly wish you all the best for you in future.

Sylvie said...

Dear Di, Know that you are wrapped in a blanket of warm wishes. My heart goes out to you~♥♥♥
Sylvie, in Santa Cruz

Veronika Miller said...

So very sorry to hear about your loss, Di.
Veronika

Hannah said...

Di, I am so sorry to hear about Harvey. He sounded like a very funny and wonderful man to have shared your life with. I have been a silent reader of your blog for many years now and have always enjoyed your spark, wit and talent for finding the most beautiful objects, furniture and art from around the world. Thinking about you and your family and hoping that 2015 will bring you some happiness xxx

nina said...

This photography reminds me a scene of "L'oeuvre au noir" of Marguerite Yourcenar. I have the impression to see the surgeon Zenon in his prison....

Jacqueline said...

Dear Di. My life has changed a lot because at 53 I am finally at art school. So I don't look at blogs as much as I used to. And when I do yours is probably my oldest and favourite. I just wanted to say hello and I hope you're doing ok. With love, Jacqueline xx