I was over at Paris Parfait today and read a post about Twittering. Tara asked people to tell if they Twittered or not and why. The fact that people Twitter or use the likes of Facebook on a daily basis has me beat and here is why:
- People actually Twitter from their phones which then goes up on Facebook - how many people do they think want to know about what they are doing on a minute by minute basis?
- I have a Facebook account only so that I can see pictures of my grandchildren which my kids put up there. I wish they would just put them on Picasa or Flickr so I could access them there.
- It has been said that Twitter is a great place to promote your business - this is a mammoth task, to get the message out there you have to connect to a massive amount of people who may not want to hear you banging on about your business.
- It is said that you should not be pushing your business in peoples faces but talk to them about a myriad of subjects - oh yes I have the time to do that and blog and run a business.
- What happened to the art of face to face conversation. I have been in restaurants and bars and seen people texting (is that a word) away and not even talking to the people they are with.
- Where I live it is difficult to get a signal on a mobile phone unless you are willing to stand on a dry stone wall with your phone in the air, which incidentally makes it bloody difficult to talk into the thing. It is a breath of fresh air to be in the pub where people actually practice the art of face to face conversation.
- I am a big fan of technology but only when used to make life better. If I used Twitter, Facebook, Blogger and God knows what else I wouldn't have any time to do the things that I was put on this earth to do like appreciate the seasons, meet my friends, play with my grand children or just sit with a good book and a nice cup of coffee.
- There is an art to communicating which is best achieved by understanding facial expressions and tone of voice. When Twitter and their ilk find a way of replicating this I may use it but then again I may not.
- Where I come from twitter is a word used to describe boring chatter such as - what on earth is she twittering about? I think on that note I will sign off.