When you live in the country, as I do, the World can seem a very different place. Yesterday I was in the city with my grand daughter Georgia. I returned full of hell and this is why:
- Businesses Gone - Shops and restaurants closed, businesses that have been in that city for years no longer there.
- Shops - Well the ones that are left, full to the gunnels with stuff that is just not moving.
- Roads - Full of potholes that are just not being repaired.
- Houses For Sale - Lots of them. What's the point when people just can't get a mortgage?
- Apathy - The radio played in the car with news items just full of unimportant crap.
- What Put The Tin Hat On It - All the above left me feeling depressed but not half as depressed as when I was returning home and I put Radio 4 on and heard Barack Obama rallying the nation and giving them hope. Our politicians are silent most of the time, no rallying cries from them.
- The Final Straw - On my return home BBC news was playing on the TV and a BBC reporter revealed that the boss of RBS, a bank that has just made the biggest loss in history has been awarded a £650,000 a year pension and he is only 50. A government spokesman said he was not happy about it but had no answers, well hello, you were the ones that deregulated the banks, of course you have no answers.
People have had their houses repossessed, lost their jobs and their dignity and need a plan and some confidence boosting. Hello, is there anybody out there!