Monday, August 11, 2008

Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner - Egg

egg 36 kinnerton street london
egg 36 kinnerton street london
Exit the front door of Harvey Nichols and turn right, 2 streets down turn right then first right off that street will bring you to the most amazing row of old properties which will once have served the rich of Knightsbridge. On this street is Egg owned by the very funny and charming Maureen Doherty.
egg 36 kinnerton street london
The shop used to be a dairy and it still has the original pale blue and white tiles. We chatted a while and I found we were of like minds though her credentials put mine to shame. She worked 16 years for Issey Miyake and she has traveled all over the world to find some of the most amazing pieces for her shops. Simple white ceramics were dotted around the clothes
egg 36 kinnerton street london
She showed me her fabulous feather light Indian silk pieces. I had to put a padlock on my purse I can tell you.
egg 36 kinnerton street london
The styling was some of the best I have ever seen
egg 36 kinnerton street london
A sudden splash of colour on the far wall took my breath away.
egg 36 kinnerton street london
She insisted I visit the Sale Shop over the road. These pieces were every bit as good as the full price items. By now my purse was desperately trying to escape from inside my handbag.
egg 36 kinnerton street london
I am proud but very sad to say that I didn't buy anything but I have Maureen's phone number and feel a purchase coming on.
Charlotte was over from Paris and was with me, she asked Maureen why her shop was called Egg, we both thought it would be because an egg is a simple yet beautiful design. Her answer amazed us and made us laugh - 'I just like the name' she said. My sort of woman.
NOTE: Egg has no website as such but go to the links for the address and a map to get you there. You must go I insist.

5 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

OMG!
You torturer YOU!!!
This place looks so FAB
Yet how can we Americanos even dream of entering Egg's door...
:(
Glass is half full..
Glass is half full..
Glass is half full..
Glass is half full..

Anonymous said...

My only time in London I was 11 and came with my entire class for 2 days. Tragic, I know. This is making me ache for it. London has always struck me as the coolest spot on Earth. (I was a teenager during the Punk era) This virtual visit is great and I'm bookmarking all the addresses.

Sea Angels said...

I too adore Egg....the shop has an indefinable magic, and sings to me of a way of life, I should love to live....no my purse does not lend itself to this way of life...in my dreams maybe. I am thrilled that you have captured it perfectly.
Hugs Lynnx

paris parfait said...

Ah, yet another one for the list. I can see my next trip will be longer than anticipated - and considerably more expensive. xoxox

Anonymous said...

I love the simple styling and how gorgeous the clothing look off the hook. What an inspirational shop.