Monday, March 05, 2007

Moving My Memories



Today we will be going to our city house for the very last time. Since 1989 it has been our family home and has been a place where tragedies and joys have taken place. It was the place I was in when I heard of the death of my father but also heard of the births of all my grandchildren. It was a second home to my step-daughters, a home for a while to my eldest daughter and a home from home to my son. Our youngest child was brought up there and fled the nest 3 years ago to go and fulfill a dream to live in Paris.
Yes I am sad but this was a decision that Harvey and I made last April and it has taken this long for it to actually happen. We moved to our second home back in September 2006, which we have owned for 9 years, which is a tiny cottage in the Northumberland National Park. The move was not a complete one as we still had the city house and the sale was going through.
My son owns a removal company and has been moving stuff and putting it in storage for us over the last few months. He and his family have been living in the house for a while whilst they waited for their new house to be built. So the move has been gradual and now the day has come to hand it over to the new owner I am filled with both sadness and excitement.
This next year will be spent launching my Ghost Furniture range, meeting my new grandchild which is due to enter my life at the end of this month and extending the cottage to create an open plan living area on the ground floor and an extra bedroom on the top floor. We have to adhere to strict planning regulations set down by the National Parks so it will be a challenge but one that I am up for.

So today is the first day of the rest of my life and when I look at the garden I used to look out on (bottom pic) and the garden I now look out on (top pic)I think - THERE'S NO COMPARISON!

11 comments:

Deb @ Beholder's Eye said...

No comparison! A special view indeed. Congratulations on the final step of the move.

Anonymous said...

It's always hard to say goodbye, but you're certainly right about the view from your cottage, as opposed to the city house! Hope the last bits of the move go well and good luck with renovation of your cottage!

~ Amy ~ said...

Your new view seems endless - how beautiful! Think of all the wonderful new memories you'll be making in your cottage. I hope more photos will be coming. What kind of wildlife lives out there?

Gypsy Purple said...

What memories the bottom picture holds for you...and what great horisons and dreams are waiting in the bottom one....I wish you all that is great, my friend and hope you and your loved one`s will be just as blessed in your new home

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you! It's always sad to part with loved places but you'll always have the memories...

I love your view!! :)
Keep us posted on your renovations and how things go with your move, etc.

PS. Pics of new baby when he/she arrives please! :)

IMEDAGOZE said...

sorry to hear about your city house, di. I can imagine it must be hard to let go. I grew up and lived in my parents house for over 20 years. Eventhough I still go back there for my daughter's school holidays, I often miss living in that home.

btw, congratulations on expecting another grandchildren. More delightful memories to come! :)

Anonymous said...

Di, congratulations on such exciting (if abit scary) times. It sounds as though your house will always hold a place in your heart but that you will soon be builing memories with your new one - I'm glad that you will start out with the blessing of a new grandchild! Exciting times are ahead!

Queenie said...

Your home is wherever your heart is. You appear to have so much heart, you know this is your home. May all your troubles be small, and all your joys huge.....

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh dear, I can imagine that must be difficult. But views are priceless and can't be bought in any shop.

PS Can I just say that you get my vote for the grandmother who just rocks! As we say in America...

Another Shade of Grey said...

Lady Di,
So sorry I am just now joining the conversation. I've been babysitting twins (niece and nephew) the past few days and have barely had time to blog. I know it's a nostalgic time, but wow, how exciting to be you at the young age of 50 something and looking forward to such a new chapter. I only hope I have so much going for me when I reach that page in my book. :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

New beginnings, may happiness foloow. Congratulations and a big warm hug I send to you!