Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Karen Nicol - Amazing Embroidery

Embroidery, I think, is one of the most underestimated skills. I know from experience just how difficult and time consuming it is.
When I was a knitwear designer, back in the 1980s, we used to have the designs appliqued with calfskin, embroidery and beads, this was done by a girl that had a degree in embroidery - Lynne Waterfall-Brown. She was truly amazing and her work was faultless. The work was so detailed and took so long that even in the 80s we could command around £300 for 1 jumper.
These designs are by Karen Nicol, I am so impressed, they are stunning. Go and see more of her work here.

4 comments:

Blogging Masterclass said...

I'm so happy to see our tastes are shared, did you see my post? Too funny, huh?

I love the Selvedges magazine. It's wonderful!!

Holly

Anonymous said...

Ooh, how wonderful her work is amazing and featured on Selvedge magazine too-I must get my hands on one!

Anonymous said...

Things look so gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My mum is Lynne Waterfall-brown and I was so suprised to see you mention her on your blog! She still has all of her work and its is still in pristene condition!
Im getting her back into doing some work like her old style and I will send you some images when shes done them as i thought you may be intrested! She was also truely flattered by your comments!